Pages

The journey of a thousand miles begins with...the perfect pair of shoes.

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

KitKats and Fuel

I was originally going to title this KitKats and Gas, but I was afraid you'd think I meant that KitKats caused gas and would not read it. I changed it to fuel just to avoid confusion.
Today I had to go to the PX to put money on our fuel card because Ulrika was running on fumes and desperately needed some petrol. Fuel is crazy expensive in Europe, which stinks for people who have to pay the full price (and one of the reasons they have such a kick ass and relatively inexpensive public transportion system). The American gov't has worked out some sort of deal with the German gov't to get us fuel much cheaper than on the economy. We have to use either on post stations or Esso stations. We know them as Exxon in the states. For an interesting bit of trivia on how Esso became Exxon, click here. But not just yet, I've got a story to tell!
We have to put money on our fuel cards (fuel is rationed BTW and Ulrika gets 400L a month which is right about 100 gallons) and then go to the local Esso, pump the fuel, swipe our card, punch in our pin number and it deducts the amount we bought from the prepaid amount. If you pumped more than you have money for, you go in the negative and have to put money on the card to bring it back to black. This is seriously frowned upon, but everybody does it.
So, I go to the Esso and do what I need to and as I'm walking out, I spot something that causes my heart to skip a little. No, not the incredibly explicit magazines (Germans are all about breasts, let me tell you-they are everywhere), but a KitKat Dark. Dark. Now how is a girl to resist that? I'll tell you, she's not. It was .69 Euro Cents which with the current exchange rate (which is terrible) is exactly $1. Oh, yeah! I plopped my 1 Euro coin onto the counter, got my change and practically ran back to Ulrika. I could not wait! KitKat Dark! Two of my favorite things in the world put together! Together!!!!



I'd love to show you what the actual KitKat looks like, but I totally ate it something happened to it on the way home. I'm not exactly sure what, but somehow it didn't make it to the photo shoot. Okay, honestly, it was freaking delicious. I may have cried.


I thought you might find it interesting to have a look at a fuel receipt so you can see what it would cost vs. what we actually paid. Here's the receipt:


Circled in green is the kind of fuel I got (Super Unleaded).

In yellow is how many liters I got (38.11 liters=9.62 gallons) and how much it cost per liter (1.279 Euro/litre=$7.14/gallon). Prices in the US aren't looking so bad right now are they?

In blue is how much the 38.11 liters cost in Euro. (48.74=$68.72 For 9.62 gallons of gas!)

In red is how much I paid with my Esso card. $29.64, which is $3.08/gallon. Way better than $7.14/gallon.





6 comments:

Liz Wilkey (a.k.a. A Mom on Spin) said...

That is way too expensive. Glad you got a break. . .

And a KitKat dark???? Not sure it's my thing. Now if they sold 3 Musketeers Dark,I'd be smiling. . .

Unknown said...

I so don't miss getting gas on the economy!!! BLAH!! And I hate ration cards!!! BLAH AGAIN!!

Mike said...

I actually remember when Esso changed to Exxon! I am not that old!!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

When I was over there, I was always very sad when I had to get gas. It was sooo freaking expensive!!!

Kimberly Wright said...

That is expensive gas.

My husband would die for one of those KitKat darks.

Allison said...

oh man. not only is KitKat my favorite candy bar, but dark chocolate is my favorite, too! I MUST find me one of these bars...

And yeah, thank goodness for the Esso card. We strategically planned our Euro-Road Trip route so that we could fill up in Germany and avoid buying gas in Austria and Switzerland...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...