Pages

The journey of a thousand miles begins with...the perfect pair of shoes.

Sunday, July 19, 2009

And that's the way it was....

When I was a little girl (seriously, little, ages 4-7 ***EDIT my mom says this started when I was about 2) I loved to watch the news. Odd, I know, but there was something about knowing what was going on in the world around me that I found exciting. Every evening, I would sit in my dad's lap (he's also a newsie and probably where I got it from) and we would watch it together. He would patiently explain things I didn't understand and we would discuss things way beyond my age level. This was a special time between me and my dad that I will carry with me forever. The man who delivered us the news was of course, Walter Cronkite. He condensed a whole days worth of news and human interest stories into a calm, comforting half hour show. His voice was soothing and his manner serious, but friendly. Even in the midst of a crisis, he was there to report on in and somehow reassure that it would, somehow, be all right.
When I heard of his death the other day, I actually cried. I had never met the man, but he was such an integral part of my childhood that I felt the loss keenly. He reported on some of the most important events of the 20th century and did so with a dignity and respect that is often missing in today's rapid fire, on the go, scroll at the bottom, interchangeable reporter, newscasts. He will be missed. And that's the way it is.



9 comments:

Mike said...

When I was a little boy, my Dad got me up to see the moon landing, I will never forget that time and the voice of Walter Cronkite sounding in my memories!

Sandy said...

A national treasure gone. Thank goodness for all the tapes. Gone but never forgotten.

Multiple personalities.. said...

I will definitely miss Mr. Cronkite. He was such an American Icon. Thanks for sharing this..hope you have a great SITs day!

Alicia said...

that's such a sweet story about your childhood!! and it is so sad...don't cry! and thanks for the birthday love!! :)

MoxieMamaKC said...

I complete agree with his nickname "The Most Trusted Man in America". I watched the CBS tribute show to him last night. It was so touching...

Captain Dumbass said...

Well said. He had a good long life though.

Unknown said...

great post! xxxxx

Nancy Rosalina said...

First, your blog is adorable! Love it!!!! Next, this is a great post, we always watched the evening new with Walter...I didn't much like it..but now, I am glad we watched it!

Stop back by and enter a drawing I am having this week!

Looking forward to the shoe show with you!! Nancy

JennyMac said...

A very thoughtful post...and he was a class act for sure.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...