Pages

The journey of a thousand miles begins with...the perfect pair of shoes.

Sunday, July 26, 2009

Indy's 7th birthday and Neckar River cruise

Indy turned 7 on Saturday! I cannot believe that my sweet, tiny little baby is 7! He's such a big boy! This is him when he was new. Look how little he is! That was a preemie outfit and it swallowed him whole.



Yes, that is a normal size coffee mug. He was super tiny.

Today we got up and had breakfast together then he got to open 1 present (his party is next Sat, so we have to save most of them for the party). He opened the Wii LEGO Indiana Jones video game, which I have to say is awesome. It's the first game we've ever bought for him (he prefers to be outdoors). M and I spent most of the morning playing it with Indy cheering us on. As a result of not owning video games, Indy's not too good at them, which IMO is not a bad thing.

In the afternoon we went to see Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (yay!) and Indy won the costume contest. He came home with a HUGE jar of Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Beans. A jar full of sugar. Just what he needs. Later in the evening, we went downtown for a boat ride down the Neckar River. The Warrant Officer's Association sponsored the trip so M was kind of obligated to go. It was so much fun. Every summer, up and down the river they have castle illuminations, which means they light the castles up and simulate the burning of them (apparently most of the castles were burned at some point or other during their history) and put on big fireworks displays. The castles we went to see are just down from Heidelberg in a little town called Neckarsteinach. There are 4 castles on the mountains in various stages of ruin. Actually, one of them is NOT a ruin and is still inhabited.

At the dock in HD.


M and Indy.


My sweet baby.


Waving to one of the many, many other boats out on the river.


Part of the old fortifications of HD.


Heidelberg. Can you believe I live here?


The Alte Brucke (old bridge) and city gate.


Houses across the river. The lady sitting next to me was German and told me that some of these houses are actually fraternity houses from the University. Not bad for Frat houses.



Indy waving to other boats in the lock. He was fascinated by the whole lock system. They packed as many boats as they could into the lock before flooding it to raise us up. It was actually quite cool.


Cruising along.


Several of Indy's friends were on the boat, which made it even better for him.


Hey! There I am.


Scenery.



This is the castle that is still inhabited. It was getting difficult to get good photos as it got darker. Actually, if I knew how to use my fancy schmancy camera, I probably could have gotten some better shots.



This castle is now a ruin. It was built in the 1200's. M and I hike up to it several years ago. It's very cool. You can go up into the towers and look down at the layout of the castle. They were just starting to illuminate them in this photo.


Part of the town along the river. They had a huge festival going on.



I played around with my camera settings and actually got a pretty interesting shot of some of the fireworks.


I hope you enjoyed Indy's birthday cruise as much as we did. Next Sat is the BIG Indiana Jones party. Pray for me.


16 comments:

satakieli said...

Happy Birthday Indie! That photo of him in his car seat reminded me of mine when he was little. We had to pad out the sides of the car seat with rolled up blankets to take him home from the hospital!

I have yet to go on one of the river trips (and I've been here a year, how lazy of me) looks like fun though, I'll have to drag the husband away from his Xbox for 5 minutes so we can go. Lovely photos!

Melissa aka Equidae said...

happy birthday to your not so small boy :) he looks gorgeous and so grown! seems his brithday was wonderful...are you in Germany? passed from SITS

Sandy said...

Happy Birthday, Indy! Beautiful photos, great job with your fancy camera. No, I can't believe you live there! I would die to live in just a beautiful community. Thanks for sharing, I felt like I was riding along.

Eve said...

Happy birthday to your son!

I've only been reading your blog a shot while and just noticed you home school?

Good for you! I and all my siblings were home schooled. None of us ever stepped foot into school until we started college at 16. I think you are very brave and honorable to do it. I look back now and know for my mum it couldn't have always been easy. :)

With respect - Eve

JennyMac said...

Happy Bday to your little man. And I will pray for you for next weekend. LOL.

I have something, actually two somethings for you on my post today.

Multiple personalities.. said...

Wow! Those are some gorgeous pics. You are so lucky to be living in such a beautiful part of the world. And happy birthday to your son! What an awesome some....may he have many many more! Have a fun Monday!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Great photos!!!! Heidelberg was one of my favorite places in Germany. We stayed at the Hirschhorn castle on the Neckar in '95. It was amazing. I am so jealous that you get to experience all that!! :)

Emily said...

Hey! I got linked over here mainly because I love your blog name! Happy birthday to your sweet guy and your pictures are amazing....what a beautiful place to live right now!

Lori said...

Happy Birthday to your little guy! They grow way too fast! Your pics are beautiful!

~Lori

Stephanie said...

Just jumped over here courtesy of a blog award.
You have some fab pictures and wonderful site!!
Happy Birthday to your baby:)

Aunt Julie said...

Love these snaps, and Happy Birthday to Indy! SITS sent me by...and I'm having a giveaway where EVERYBODY wins, so please come on down!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Glad you had a great time on the boat ride! Happy Birthday to your little man!!!

Krystal said...

That looks like such an awesome time. It is great that he is not a Wii fiend though - I wish my kids would prefer to be outside - that Wii drives me insane!!!

Happy B-DAY Indy!!!!

Alicia said...

awww he was so tiny! hope he had a wonderful birthday!! and you sure do live in a GORGEOUS place! good luck next weekend!

Melissa Miller said...

~Happy Birthday Indy!
He was so tiny....How adorable ;)

Cathy said...

That was an amazing travel and birthday celebration for your little man.. Happy birthday!! I hope you enjoyed your travel..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...