Pages

The journey of a thousand miles begins with...the perfect pair of shoes.

Monday, January 17, 2011

Mini-Pantry Makeover

Pantry. Ugh. What an unpleasant word. Just thinking about the word brings up images of food piled high and plastic bags haphazardly thrown behind a door to hide them. At least that's what my pantry usually looks like. There's a movement going on in blogland to reorganize and since I'm apparently in my nesting phase, I decided to join in. Traci, over at Beneath My Heart is hosting an organization party thing every Monday in Jan, and today she discussed pantry organization. Interestingly, I happened to have that on my to do list today (handy how that worked out, isn't it?), so I thought I'd show you some before and afters. 
Traci will be hosting a link up party on Friday and I'll link to that, but since I've had precious little to blog about lately (that doesn't involve contractions of babies), I thought I'd go ahead and post this today.
Now, before we look at the photos, I should mention that we don't have a pretty pantry (we live in military housing, so having a pantry at all is a serious luxury) and I can't paint it and I don't have a Silhouette machine (yet) to make pretty tags or labels.  Also, last night, for whatever reason, James Bond decided to go through the top shelf of the pantry and make it neat (maybe he's nesting too?) and I didn't get a before photo.  Believe me, it was a hot mess and about 10 times worse than the before photo I took today.  It was embarrassingly bad and I probably wouldn't have wanted to show you what it looked like anyway.  This before photo makes me cringe as it is.  Ack!


 I spent about an hour going through stuff (and throwing much of it out), and putting it in containers and here it is now:


Isn't that better? I feel weird showing the foods and drinks we have with you guys.  Though I have to say, it's not that bad.  We have to buy our water so that's why there are so many water bottles.  The bottles have to go back to the store for a deposit refund, so it's easier to corral them in the white container.  We could get water delivered and have a big cooler, but I don't like the way it tastes.   The water that is delivered is filtered and I prefer spring.  When just about the only thing you drink is water, you get picky about it and learn the difference in tastes.  I have to say though, it is a pain lugging all those bottles up 3 flights of stairs. 
Oh, and in the first photo, you might notice that we have several large cans of  baked beans.  We are not baked beans junkies.  James Bond had to make some for a a company dinner a while back (I made them better by adding onions, garlic, maple syrup and other stuff) and for whatever reason felt the need to buy like 8 cans.  Do you know how much is in one can?  Good golly.  Also, you might notice that we have a lot of nuts.  Nuts are my current pregnancy drug of choice.  I eat a handful several times throughout the day and Han Solo is happy as a clam.  He gets very active after I eat nuts.  
OMG, why am I talking about food?   It makes me hungry.  I just ate some Greek yogurt (so good!) with granola and blueberries though, so maybe I should wait a while. 
I'm rambling.  Good heavens.  I'll shut up now.  I hope you enjoyed my little mini makeover. 

9 comments:

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

You did a good job! I did one side of our cabinets last month, and it felt so good to toss stuff. ;) Now I have to do the other (messier) side. ;)

Melissa Miller said...

Wow! Great job! :)

Sarah said...

Good job organizing the pantry, but I shouldn't have read this. I'm hungry now!

Also, I did end up switching doctors, so I'm now getting care in Heidelberg.

Skye McLain said...

Can I just say that in reading your post I totally relate to the "OMG,why am I talking about food?" comment and then your little comment text says "Feed my ego!" I laughed out loud! Haha! :) Anyways isn't amazing what happens when you just clean out the pantry (dirty word, yes)! When I moved into the duplex my grandfather lived in before he passed away there was food in there that (at the time) was literally older than I was. Why was he keeping it?? Anyways - great job! :)

danae said...

that's a pretty drastic change! it looks so much better, & as much as you were dreading the task, surely now you're happy to have it done & to take advantage of it's good-looking-ness!

danae said...

your comment about edward CRACKED ME UP! glad you like :) the story on him: i work with teens, & i threw a twilight party last summer & borrowed that fine fella from one of our teens. then i didn't return him for 5 months... there was always a *good* reason! we finally got him back to her & then for xmas she brought him back to my house while we were out of town & left him waiting for me in the kitchen. imagine my surprise! {ps: she got him free in a contest from "hot topic" at the mall.} thanks for the comment & laughter!

Traci@ Beneath My Heart said...

Your makeover looks great! I can't believe how much difference containers can make when organizing.
I bet this really helped your nesting itch. Congrats, btw!
You are so funny talking about the food in the pantry. I was thinking the same thing when I revealed mine. I thought, "I hope people don't judge me for having junk food, or Do I have enough healthy food in there? Can they tell I buy mostly generic food?"
Oh well, who cares! :)
The pantry looks great! That's all that matters. :)
Thank you so much for linking up to my party.
Many blessings,
Traci

{darlene} said...

Great work! Don't you love how organizing makes you feel???
It has been a long time since I stopped by your blog! It is nice to "see" you again!

- {darlene} from
www.worthwalkingtoward.blogspot.com
and my new blog
www.fieldstonehilldesign.com

Diana@DevineDesigns said...

I have a dream that one day my pantry will look organized and beautiful . . . one day!

Great job with yours!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...