Pages

The journey of a thousand miles begins with...the perfect pair of shoes.

Friday, April 24, 2009

The world, the boy and me

Kat tagged me on Catherine's how mom's see the world around the world online dialogue. Take a peek at how mom's around the world think and feel about motherhood.

Things I love about being Indy's mom.

*I like saying he's my son. Isn't that silly? It's true though. I take great pride in the fact that that little man who is so amazing is MY son. He's smart and sweet and really, really funny. It's like talking to a grown up in a kid's body. If you don't believe me, just ask him, he'll tell you. He'll also tell you he's handsome and smart. Very humble, my boy. I am honored to be his mother.

*I love watching him figure out things. As a homeschool mom I am privileged to get to actually see when things click with him. I swear there are times when I can see the little synapses firing off in his brain. It is truly an amazing thing to watch.

*I adore the laughter. Listening to him laugh fills my heart with joy. JOY. Pure, innocent joy.

*Seeing things through his eyes. Boys are very different and seeing things the way he sees them. Looking at bugs and worms has never been so fascinating. Spending an entire day talking like a pirate is a hoot. Especially in public. Yar!

*Knowing that I am his world is such an overwhelming feeling. Of course M is important as are our extended family, but it's me that he wants. Sick, sad, hurt, tired, whatever, he wants me. No one else will do. I know there will come a day when this ends, but for now Mommy is the center of his world. Anyone and everything else are just distant moons circling.

*Learning. I never thought a child could teach me so much. He's taught me patience, kindness, forgiveness, tolerance, joy, excitement, and how to just be. He's also taught me where my personal line is, but that's not something he likes to test.

*I love that he loves everyone. He accepts everyone, no matter their race, religion or ethnicity. He doesn't care what someone looks like on the outside. He just wants everyone to be happy and to get along. He wants everyone to be his friend. Old, young, black, white, hispanic, asian, whatever, he wants to be your friend. He wants to tell you what he knows and find out what you know. That's a beautiful thing to see.

When I was younger I never really wanted to be a mom. SHOCK! Of coures I played with dolls and pretended to be a mommy, but having my own child was something I never wanted. Even as a teenager I never felt the urge that many of my friends did. I don't know why. Kids love me, for some insane reason, but I just never wanted one of my own. As I got older, I knew I would have at least one (M wanted lots of kids-he has since changed his mind), but never got the baby bug. Finding out I was pregnant was a shock to say the least. Once the shock wore off, I was excited and nervous. The thought of being responsible for this tiny being who spent several hours a day using my kidneys as a punching bag was almost overwhelming. What if I screwed him up for life? What if I just wasn't a good mom? What if he hated me? What if I didn't love him like I should? The terror was often panic inducing. July 25, 2002 at 11:41pm Indy came into this world at 18 inches long and weighing in at a whoping 4 pounds 14 ounces. He was tiny and skinny and absolutely the most amazing thing I had ever seen. The moment I laid eyes on him, my aprehension went away. I knew this small little man would change who I was as a person. There's nothing his sweet little soul hasn't touched. The joy of being a mom is incredible. There are days when I am completely overwhelmed and enjoy the silence that ensues when he goes to bed. I wouldn't trade a moment though. Not for anything.

And now I'm done being sappy. I'm not going to tag anyone because I don't want anyone to feel obligated. If you'd like to participate in this dialogue, please feel free and let me know in the comments.

Come back tomorrow because I've got an exciting story for you. I'll tell you the title, just to give you a little taste: Tulip Thievery. Don't let the Germans catch you.

3 comments:

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Awwww, great post!! :) Both of my pregnancies were surprises....motherhood has its wonderful moments to make the craziness fade into the background, huh? :)

david mcmahon said...

I know the feeling well. Being a father to three wonderful children has given my life and my world a special perspective.

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Tagged you on my blog this morning as one of my Top 10 faves! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...