Pages

The journey of a thousand miles begins with...the perfect pair of shoes.

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Hip hop in the Street?

image

 

When, and more importantly why did they decide to hip hop the Sesame Street theme?  Anyone?  Anyone?  

Indy hasn’t watched SS in several years.  Not since he discovered Thomas the Tank Engine and PBS Kids Sprout (I miss you channel!).  When he watched it, it had the same happy theme song I heard when I was little.  You know the one:

Sunny Day
Sweepin' the clouds away
On my way to where the air is sweet
Can you tell me how to get,
How to get to Sesame Street
Come and play
Everything's A-OK
Friendly neighbors there
That's where we meet

Ah, familiar, sweet, catchy.  Not so anymore.  It still has the same lyrics, but the tune is different.  Very different.  Hip hop different.  I usually don’t have SS on in the mornings, but Arf needed to go potty AGAIN so I didn’t have a chance to turn it from yesterday’s World News Tonight (with Charles Gibson) before SS came on.  We walked in the door just as the theme song to SS came on.  I stopped and turned towards the TV in disbelief.  What was I hearing?  What was this weird song?  WHY was I hearing it?  Do toddlers not get enough hip hop?  Do they really need hip hop?  Honestly.   Is this next?

image

You’ve gone too far PBS.  Too far!

11 comments:

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

THANK YOU!!! My three year old started watching SS sometime last year and I was appalled when I heard the theme. What was wrong with the old one??? Those of us who grew up with SS and now let our children watch are just aghast! I always fast forward through that part on our DVR....

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

P.S. I tagged you on my blog today! :)

Susie Q said...

SS has to be so very 'hip and trendy' or the kids won't watch it. Hmph. My kids are much older now, but my 9 YO didn't watch it too long either.

I don't let her watch Sprout either. We'd been seeing some changes in her behaviour that I didn't like, so I sat down one evening with her to watch Caillou--I'm not sure I remember the last time I wanted to smack a cartoon character...I found him to be a completely spoiled, manipulative brat...so we didn't watch that one any more. We went back to Boomerang and Wiley Coyote, Bugs Bunny and crew.

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

I haven't seen SS in a long time but I'm so sad to hear they changed the tune!!! I loved the old one. It was catchy and now i'll probably have it stuck in my head the rest of the night lol.

Mike said...

Well being that most hip hop talks about crime and drugs and bitches and hoes, I can see why we need to interject it into our childrens shows! Bert: Hey Ernie! My Homey! whats up!
Ernie: Nuthin' we just chillin' at the crib! You see the BOOOTAAYY on that bitch dat jus walked by? LMAO!

Katie @ makingthishome.com said...

As long as it's not techno Sesame Street!

Captain Dumbass said...

It's just wrong. My kids don't watch SS and it's probably because of that dumb song. Actually, it's kinda sad that they don't watch it.

Steely Dad said...

That's just messed up! WTF are they thinking tinkering with the song to a show that taught a generation to read? Of course, because I always watched SS, I'm only able to count to 12 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZshZp-cxKg) but it was nevertheless a great babysitter!

Kat said...

I have tagged you to take place in an online dialog between mom's around the world. Please take a look at my blog. I would love it if you would participate.

nikkicrumpet said...

I'm so glad my kids are grown...this kind of stuff makes me INSANE!

Fifi Flowers said...

Oooh la la... Je me souviens du jour de Sesame Street! Je pense que les Muppets dans votre post besoin Botox! Merci de visiter moi! Profitez de votre fin semain!
Fifi

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...