Pages

The journey of a thousand miles begins with...the perfect pair of shoes.

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Dishing It: Summer Reading

Photobucket


The super awesome Amanda (no, I'm not sucking up, it's true) over at Serenity Now is hosting another Dishing It party and this time, I thought I'd join in because I didn't forget.  This party is all about summer reads.  Aside from shoes and Edward and Johnny Depp, there's nothing I love more than reading (oh, except my family, but that's a given).  I read all kinds of things.  Mr. HH swears we'd be ridiculously wealthy if I stopped buying bottled water and books.  First of all, I don't even like to shower in the water we have, so I'm certainly NOT going to drink it.  Ick.  And secondly, I do use the library a lot (a lot, a lot), but it takes forever for them to get some new release books and sometimes, well, I just can't wait,especially if it's part of a series and I've been waiting on it to come out. And third, shut up.

I frequently have 2, 3 or even 4 books going at one time, which for some reason drives Mr. HH crazy (he has issues with my reading, I think) and often read at least 2 books a week.   If I don't read, I feel like I'm doing something wrong.  It feels weird.  I am currently reading the following:


    














Other books I would recommend for summer reading, are:

This book is hilarious and so easy to read as it's all in email/text message format.  It's all about love, insecurity and mistaken identities.













No one throws a hissy fit like this girl.  The lead character is an interior decorator and antiquer.  What could be better?  Light, funny read.














If I had to be on a deserted island with 5 books, this would be one of them.  It's about what happens when a fat girl decided to lose the weight and how she's treated differently.  I love this book.












Okay, I haven't actually read this one yet, but I've read the other 15, so I'm not sure how I could not recommend this one.  If you haven't read this series, I highly recommend it.  The series is about a completely incompetent female bounty hunter, exploding cars (lots of them), and two very hunky men that she can't decide between.  Some books also involve a reformed 'ho,' a cross dressing rock star, a psychotic (but lovable dog), the mob,and her pistol packing grandmother.  This is a great series.  Don't miss it.







I loved all three of these books.  I  like series.  These are set in the Victorian era and are mystery/romance.  Don't be fooled by the covers, they are sophisticated books.  Each book has its own story with a secondary storyline that arcs through them all.










   













I love this series.  Love.It.  It's a mystery series set in the Regency era (my personal favorite era for lit, probably thanks to Jane Austen) and very well written.  What I really find interesting though is that the main character is a man, instead of a woman.  A sexy viscount who has a way of finding trouble.  To quote the authors site "Think Mr. Darcy with a James Bond edge." These are smart books.  The author knows her history and weaves it beautifully into the stories.  Each book is a stand alone story with a secondary storyline that arcs through all of them.  The most recent book came out in Nov of 09 and I cannot wait for the next one.  Write Ms. Harris, write!





So, those are my recommendations for summer reading.  I hope you all have time for a few great books this summer.  My TBR pile (several from the library, thakyouverymuch) is HUGE.  Hurrah for books!


12 comments:

instant student said...

Yeah, hurrah for books!!
I LOVE the Stephanie Plum-series.
Team Ranger! :D

Chris V said...

I may have just found my next reading list.
Currently working on the Diana Gabaldon "Highlander" series after polishing off the "True Blood" series.

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Hi there! So this post came up on my Dashboard, but it wasn't on my blog's link list, so I added it for you. Hope that's okay! :)

You have an AWESOME list here...so many that I want to try. :) Thanks for sharing...I like to see pics of the covers too.

Thanks for joining the party. :)

Charlene said...

This summer I've been reading Robert Crais books. Every one is like sitting down to eat ice cream.

I can't remember the quote but, it was something about after paying for food and shelter, they spent all their money on books. I call it my vice. If anyone wants to get rid of their books as they read them, sign up for bookins.com. You get points and choose new books, then trade the ones you've read.

Amy said...

I have seen a lot of the books on your list and thought they looked like good reads. I guess they will be making to my to read list. Thanks for sharing!!

Stephanie said...

Haven't read most of these and I'm looking forward to it. Thank God for the Library.

Kenzie said...

Boy Meets Girl looks like a great book! I will definitely be adding this to my list! I can't believe you can read 3 or 4 books at a time, if I could read 1 I would be so excited! I need to make the time to sit down and read instead of blogging! Stopping by from Amanda's!

Joyfulness said...

Thanks for the suggestions. I need to get to the library now.

Lynette said...

Those look like some great books! I'll have to check out some of them.

And I'm also addicted to high heel shoes. DH just doesn't understand the need ;)

WildIrishRose33 said...

The Deanna Raybourn books look interesting. I love stories set in that era!

RYN: I know! Wasn't it cool to read about everything from the other side of the coin? I almost didn't want to, but once I started I couldn't put it down til I had finished.

Alexandra said...

I love how you arranged this. It was like being in a bookstore...thank you!

Kirsty Girl said...

Thanks for the recommendations! I'm such a bookworm too! Also serenity now is such a great blog too! Love your header by the way! :) too funny!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...