Pages

The journey of a thousand miles begins with...the perfect pair of shoes.

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

RTT: Food, the Superbowl, egos and more

randomtuesday


*The Superbowl kick off was at 12:30 AM here. I watched until about 5 minutes into the 3rd quarter and went to bed. Fat men (really, many of them are FAT!) making far too much money to play a freaking game. Who cares?

*Indy went to bed at his normal time (8:30pm), but we got him up so he could watch the Super Bowl. He doesn't care about football (we're not sports people), but he wanted to watch it with James Bond and eat pizza and chips in the middle of the night. Sometimes we like to pretend we're cool parents.

*The poor Black Eyed Peas.  They're getting raked over the coals over the half time show.  It wasn't THAT bad.  They're really one of those groups that's better on the radio than live.  Their music requires a lot of voice modulation and synthesizers and you just can't get that live.  Say what you will, though, Indy and I are big fans (with the exception of a few songs). 
*Indy eats really well. Last night we had shrimp and lobster ravioli with a garlic cream sauce (I ate mine with red sauce as cream sauces aren't my favorite) and he loved it. When we eat out though, we let him order pretty much whatever he wants (we don't eat out a lot, so this is no big deal). His favorite eating out meal is chicken (strips) and french fries with a side of ranch dressing for dipping. This is a treat to Indy, not a staple of his diet. Last night we were on our way home from the commissary and passed by one of his favorite restaurants. He had this to say:

Indy: I wonder what Germans have against chicken, french fries and ranch dressing.
Me: What are you talking about?
Indy: You know how in America you can get chicken, french fries and ranch dressing at pretty much any restaurant?
Me: Yes.
Indy: Well, you just can't get that over here. Germans must have something against it.
Me: You think so?
Indy: Yeah. They really need an O'Charley's over here. Then they'd see how good chicken, french fries and ranch dressing can be. You know what else they need?
Me: What?
Indy: You know that place we used to walk to on the weekends for breakfast? When we lived in Illinois?
Me: You mean Panera?
Indy: YES! PANERA!!! They have the best egg souffles ever. Germans really need those. If they did, they'd love them. Man, I miss Panera.
Me: Me too.
Indy: Next time we go visit Gigi, we have to eat there at least 5 times for breakfast. Deal?
Me: We'll see.
Indy: Oh, I'm going there. You can come if you want, but I'm going.
Me: How are you going to get there?
Indy: I'll get Gigi to take me.
Me: You think she will?
Indy: Mom, of COURSE she will. It's me! You know she'll do anything if I ask. Especially if I bat my eyes at her. She can't resist my cuteness.
Me: Well, glad to see you have it all figured out.
Indy: Oh, I do. I'm going to have a souffle and one of those yummy bread rolls with cream [cheese]. And maybe a juice box and a cup of tea. It'll be awesome. And I'm going to have it at least 5 times. Yes. That's what I'm going to do.

*Chocolate milk is my best friend right now. Oh, sweet chocolate milk!!!!! Unfortunately we have to buy Lactaid milk (which is bloody delicious, BTW) and it is $4.09 a HALF gallon. The regular milk and the chocolate milk are the same price, so I buy the chocolate and then don't have to buy chocolate syrup too. I've been drinking about 1/2 gallon a day. This is an expensive habit. Han Solo's bones are getting harder now though (according to the pregnancy updates I get), so I figure I can justify it because he needs the calcium. And I need the sweet, sweet chocolate. In fact, I'm drinking a glass right now. Mmmmmmmmm.....

*According to the Captain it is traditional for kids to get money for the Chinese New Year. WHAT??? You should see how much his kids scored. I feel like I've been gypped. Where's my Chinese NY money? Wait, you think it's because I'm not Chinese? Darn it!

*James Bond and I saw The King's Speech last week.  If you have not seen this, run (don't walk) to the theater and see this movie!  It is FAN-FREAKING-TASTIC.  If Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush don't win the Oscar in their respective categories, I will call foul!  They deserve it.  Their performances were solid and powerful.  When it was over, James Bond said "We need to see that again."  That is high praise from a man who usually only watches movies with things that blow up more than once.  Seriously, see this movie.  It is long and not particularly action-y (okay, there's really no action), but it is a powerful story and you need to see it.

*Jennifer Ehle was in The King's Speech too.  She played Elizabeth Bennett to Colin Firth's Mr. Darcy (swoon) in the 1995 BBC Pride and Prejudice.   I know it's been almost 20 years, but I swear I did not recognize her in The King's Speech.  It's not fair.  Colin Firth looks almost exactly the same, but her...not so much.

*I want to know what Wallis Simpson did to get Edward VIII to give up the throne.  She was either a witch or knew some crazy tricks in bed.  ;)  She was stylish and beautiful, but really, to give up your throne?  Though I have to say, given where Edward's sympathies lay (he was an admirer of Hitler-can you imagine?), it was probably a good thing he wasn't king.

*I want to go to Ireland.  And Scotland. 

*My hair hates me.  It is never cooperative.  WHY?????

*Apparently there is now going to be 2 Sudans.  Does this mean I'll have to buy all new maps for the school room?  Maybe I'll just draw a line. 

*An apple a day?


*Why not? What's it going to hurt?





8 comments:

Kendra said...

Kids say the funniest things. And they're much more perceptive than we give them credit for!

And if I can't throw rocks at the sign can I throw eggs?

Happy Tuesday!

Anonymous said...

I don't know...Fergie BUTCHERED the G'n'R song.

Anonymous said...

Ehle was aged up with wig and make-up. Check this recent photo. Search zimbio +ehle.

Unknown said...

chocolate milk, YUM! I cannot start my day without it. :) And fries with ranch dip YUM! The movie is that good, huh? Maybe I'll head out to see it this weekend without the kid.

Stacy Uncorked said...

I love that Indy knows what he wants! I'm still laughing over here on that convo - if we ever got Indy and Princess Nagger together, we'd be rolling on the floor. ;)

RTT: All About Nothing

Captain Dumbass said...

Indy has made me very hungry. Never heard of fries, chicken and ranch sauce but I want some now.

Holly said...

I enjoyed this post. How old is your son? He sounds quite precocious. We live in Panera's hometown (in fact, the restaurants are still called St Louis Bread Company here) and we're quite proud of our little cafe!
I really want to see that movie; I keep hearing good things about it. I just put two and two together the other night and realized that if Edward didn't abdicate, there would be no Queen Elizabeth, Charles and Diana, etc.
I didn't know that about his sympathies to Hitler, though. Perhaps God had something to do with Wallis Simpson's spell over Edward.

Decor To Adore said...

Sweet Boy loves him some BEP's! We listen to them all the time. He loved the half time event.

Almost a week later and I am still thinking about the King's Speech. If our Mr. Darcy doesn't win the oscar I don't know if our tv will survive the attack!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...