Pages

The journey of a thousand miles begins with...the perfect pair of shoes.

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Shamrock Shuffle and the Naughty Leprechauns

Top 'o the mornin' to ye! Happy Saint Patrick's Day. Erin Go Braugh! And all that blarney.

This past Saturday we participated in the Shamrock Shuffle for the second year. It's a 5k that Indy does for the medal he gets at the end. Last year he jogged for about 2 and half minutes before declaring he was exhausted and had to walk the rest of the way. Never mind that he can run the playground for hours on end which is probably way farther than 5k. This year was a different story. He had a bunch of friends out there this year and they were all for running. I cannot run (stupid plantar fasciitis) so he was waaaaaay ahead of me. I knew several people who were running, and knew one of them would take care of him until I caught up, so I wasn't worried. He finished about 15 minutes before I did. Yay! I have photos on one of our old point and shoot cameras but I can't find the cable to connect it to my computer. Boo!

The Naughty Leprechauns came to visit too. Indy was crazy excited all day yesterday. He couldn't wait to see what they would do. It was almost more exciting that Christmas, but I think that's just because it's so much fun to see how cray they've gotten. Here's how my night went:

2:48 am
Indy (in a LOUD whisper): MOM! The Leprechauns came!
Me: grumble grumble mild profanity (look over at the clock) [Indy], it's 2:48 in the morning! Go back to bed.
Indy: But the leprechauns!
Me: Go to bed.

3:31 am
Indy: Mom! Can I get up? The leprechauns threw stuff around.
Me: Are you crazy? It's 3:30! Go to bed and get some sleep.
Indy: {sigh} All right.
Me: Zzzzzzzzzzzz

4:20 am
Indy: Mom, is it time yet?
Me: NO! Get back to bed and don't get up again!
Indy: Fine.

5:54 am
Indy: Mom! The sun is coming up! Can I get up NOW?
Me: for the love of all that is holy [Indy], it is still too early. Go. To. Bed.
Indy: The sun is coming up! I want to get up too. I'll take a nap this afternoon if you just let me get up now.
Me: Oh, you'll take a nap all right, but you're not getting up. Go get some sleep.
Indy: Cheese and crackers!
Dogs: Mwrrrrrrp.

7:00 am
Alarm.
Me (groping to turn the alarm off) grumble grumble not so mild profanity grumble grumble
Dogs: Mwrrrrrrp. Snort.

I got up and found Indy with his pillow and blanket sitting on the sofa in the living room.
Me: How long have you been there?
Indy: Since the last time I was in your room. Can I get up NOW?
Me: Whatever.
Indy: Look what the Naught Leprechauns did!!!!

Oh yeah, we're definitely taking a nap this afternoon. Interestingly, he did not wake up ONE TIME on Christmas Eve. Weird kid.

So, what did the leprechauns do? They were busy. They threw all of Indy's clean socks and underwear on the floor again, and left some green $1 and chocolate gold coins in his room. They opened all the drawers and cabinets in the bathroom and turned the toilet water green (this is a classic and must be done every year), turned over 2 chairs in the dining room and made a tent with a green blanket. Inside the tent were several of Indy's Playmobil figures, that Indy says they must have played with, and his treasure chest, which they emptied onto the floor. In return they left him another $1, more chocolate coins and what Indy swears is the legendary Peacock's Eye that Indiana Jones searched for in a few episodes of the Young Indian Jones series and then finds albeit briefly at the beginning of Temple of Doom in Shanghai at Club Obi Wan (the night club where IJ meets with Lao Che who had the diamond but poisons IJ instead of trading and IJ kidnaps Willi). Are you impressed or frightened by my knowledge of the world of Indiana Jones? I'm not sure.
Do you remember the Indiana Jones Room Booby Trap Indy got for Christmas? It hangs over his door and when set, will drop spiders on whoever opens the door. It's kind of a pain to refill and set all the time, so he only sets it when company comes over and he wants to surprise them. Well, last night the leprechauns thought it would be funny to fill it with the hole punches from my 2 and 3 hole punchers in the school room closet. Indy thought that was awesome because confetti flew everywhere when he opened his door, but I'm going to have to use my mommy phone and let the leprechauns know that it was quite a mess to clean up. Indy's eggs and tortilla (one of his favorite breakfasts is scrambled eggs, cheese and sliced turkey in a tortilla) were also green, which looked gross, but thrilled Indy. Those naughty leprechauns. I'm just glad they only come once a year.



5 comments:

Lyana said...

Wow, I bet you made his day! So creative:) I like the part about the toilet water and the tent.

family of 4 on the move! said...

That is too cute! You are so creative! Now can you please take that green egg off your page before I have to buy it from you and then explain to my hubby why I needed it! LOL

Formerly known as Frau said...

That is too funny, I hope you get your nap.

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

You're a great mom! :) Hope you have a chance to get that nap today!!!

Christina - Rant Rave Roll said...

I'm needing a nap just thinking about all those interruptions. Such a cute idea though.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...