Pages

The journey of a thousand miles begins with...the perfect pair of shoes.

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Random Thoughts Tuesday: Beer Edition

randomtuesday

Hot diggity! Tuesday! You know how I loves me some Tuesday. Why? It's Random! Today's randomness stems from our trip to the opening of Oktoberfest in Munich this past weekend.

*Oktoberfest is effing amazing. I could not have imagined it. I've been in Munich before during Oktoberfest, but this is the first time I've ever been to the actual Oktoberfest.

*Over 6 and a half million people are expected to attend this year's Oktoberfest. It only lasts for 16 days.

*Getting a table is darn near impossible. We met a group of teenagers (you read that right, 16 and 17 year old) who wanted to go explore the rest of Oktoberfest (it's like a big fair) but didn't want to lose their table (they stood in line for 2 hours to get a table) so we offered to hold their spots. Nice of us, wasn't it? They explored, we drank, everybody won. Especially the people selling the beer.

*In 2008 6.7 millions liters (approx 1.8 gallons) of beer was consumed.

*I loved that so many people were in Lederhosen or Dirdls.

*The first Oktoberfest took place in 1810 and was a wedding between Crown Prince Ludwig (later King Ludwig I) and Princess Therese of Saxe-Hildburghausen. A horse race also took place that day in the Okotberfest grounds, but those ended in 1960.

*Mr. HH said there were too many breasts and he didn't know where to look. The dirndl is seriously made to show off the breast.

*The beer halls combined can seat 150,000.

*I didn't get to drink a Radler and that made me sad. It's a mixture of beer and a German style lemon-lime soda. It sounds gross, but man it is so good!

*1 Litre of beer cost 8.60 Euro (approx $12.71)

*The locals in Munich call Oktoberfest "die Wiesn" because of its location, Theresienwiese, which was named after Therese von Sachsen-Hildburghausen.

*Fest goers will consume approximately 500,000 chickens, 250,000 pork sausages, 60,000 pork knuckles (OMG!), 38,000kg of fish, 110 oxen (OMG, again!) and almost 3 million pounds of potatoes (mostly in the form of pommes-french fries).

And now for my funny sign of the week. They have a point (except at Oktoberfest).



I have lots (and lots) of photos from our trip which I will try to get posted this week. It was quite a trip that started off with a flat tire at 9:30pm, 100 miles from Garmisch. Good times indeed.


8 comments:

The Crazy Coxes said...

I feel so educated now! Thanks for the Oktoberfest info! I love your resourcefulness......saving the teens table so they could explore. Aren't you thoughtful!

Yankee Girl said...

What awesome info!

I love beer and would love to make it to Germany for Oktoberfest. Since that is not possible this year, I am going to Oktoberfest in Chicago this weekend.

Not the same, but at least there will be beer!

Crazy Shenanigans said...

This has been my favorite random thoughts! Can't wait to see pictures.

otin said...

When I was in school, our German class was supposed to go to Germany, and because there was no drinking age, parents had to sign a consent form to allow their kids to have beer. No parent even saw the form. A girl in the class forged all of them! LOL! I wish I had gone!

Elle said...

I've never been to any Oktoberfest, but now I seriously want to go!

Margaret aka: Fact Woman said...

I wish I was there and great job holding that table for the teens. Very resourceful! Have a fun trip and I'd love to see some pictures.

Anne said...

The "Radler" is called a "demi" in French. It mean half/half (kinda) they mix half beer with half lime soda and (once upon a time, in my time) you could drink it at 16 or so, cause it wasn't "real" beer!
I remember Matt saying that this was probably the equivalent of an American beer (not tastewise) but alcohol contentwise!! hehe!!

Frau said...

Sounds like so much fun! I want to go next for sure. I hear you need to reserve a table a year in advance if not more. Can't wait to see your pictures.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...