Pages

The journey of a thousand miles begins with...the perfect pair of shoes.

Monday, August 9, 2010

Letter from the President (of the US)

Good Monday to you all! I hope you had a lovely weekend. We did. It was lazy, just the way we like them.
You may remember a while back when Indy was indignant about what he saw on Oprah's Earth Day show and decided to write the President a letter.  We sent the letter off around the beginning of May and didn't think much about it.  He felt good for having done something and that made me happy.  Around the middle of July, we went to the post office to pick up our mail and had a package slip.  We went to the counter and our package was a a large envelope with Indy's name on it.  I looked at the return address and it was from The White House!  Indy flipped out and insisted we open it right there.  The post office wasn't busy and the workers gathered around (Indy announced loudly that he had a package from the President) to see what was inside.  There were several things, but chief among them was a letter from the President himself.  Indy was overjoyed and insisted I read it aloud.  If you click the image below you can see his response.  I'm sure someone else wrote it, but it is signed in ink, not with a stamp.


Also included were a map of the White House with all kinds of information on it and on the back, a FAQ on what it's like to be President.  Indy found all that very interesting.  There was also a signed photo of Obama (again, ink, not a stamp).



But the most fascinating thing (according to Indy) was a photo of Bo Obama, the President's dog.  Oh, happy day!  Indy loves dogs and finds Bo (or Bobama as we like to call him) very interesting.  On the back of the photo is all sorts of information about Bo including his favorite food: tomatoes.  Who knew?



Needless to say, this was all a very big deal to Indy.  And to us too, what parent wouldn't be proud?  Indy thinks he's the luckiest kid in the world (this might be true)because not only is he friends with a 4 star General (who happens to know Obama), but he's also friends with the President.  I think my boy is going places. 


13 comments:

family of 4 on the move! said...

OMG that is so cool!! WTG Indy!! Nice to know that people still care about being personal too!

Becca said...

That is terrific!! (You might not want to tell him that they have machines that use ink pens to write important people's signatures. I was crestfallen when I saw one in the general's office when I was a young soldier and realized that if a 2 star had a signing machine, lots of other people probably did too.) Sending a pic of the dog is great. It's nice that someone actually read the letter and did a good job putting together a package for him!

Tina said...

This is wonderful. Indy will grow up believing that he can approach anyone, no matter how highly placed, and tell them what he thinks. In the back of his mind that confidence will always be there. I bet it is a real signature.

Good for Indy, and good for our President in doing a nice thing for him! :-)

Tina
Pecan Corner

Charlene said...

The first autopen was developed by an Englishman but patented in the US in 1803. Thomas Jefferson was he first President to use it.

I heard that our President Obama has ten letters from citizens pulled and he reads them personally and then signs the letters.

This is so cool.

No Model Lady said...

That's so awesome!

Unknown said...

AWESOME! That's so wonderful to get such a personal response!

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

How exciting! I think it's very cool that he got a letter back. My daughter would be thrilled to get a photo of Bo! (How odd that his favorite food is tomatoes? Never heard of dogs eating those.)

Shelby said...

Wow this is awesome! To actually recieve a letter from the U.S. President is awesome.

Unknown said...

I love that Indy got this letter. That is so special. And the dog picture....that is pretty cool : )

What a great post!

instant student said...

Awesome!

These Are The Days said...

Awe, that's adorable and very exciting! We were scheduled to start school last Monday but since my boys spent an extr 11 days in Utah with their cousins, we didn't start until Thursday...so we've got 2 days under our belt and I'm happy to say they were the best ever! I need to follow your blog. It's the craziest thing, maybe it hasn't worked in the past because I'm sure I've set it to follow a million times and yet I never get an update. I'm off to do it right now. Glad to hear you are off to a good start. P & P will be good, I'm glad I read it a few times first so I can help Jax get through it and also I loved the long movie 5 hr one...we'll definitely watch it after.

Jennifer Juniper said...

How exciting to get a package like this!

Sarah said...

Wow! How exciting for you guys! And what great encouragement for Indy. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...