Pages

The journey of a thousand miles begins with...the perfect pair of shoes.

Monday, February 23, 2009

Meta Monday: Historic/Patriotic/Beachy Bathroom Edition!

It's META MONDAY!!!!! Sorry to yell at you, but I'm so excited! I should be homeschooling Indy right now, but I'm slacking and have given him worksheets to do so I can post (and look at all the other cool metas). Bad mommy!

This is our blah bathroom when we moved in back in Oct. It has a strange slatted brown ceiling, boring brown tiles and yucky brown fixtures. Yeah. Also, you may notice the "floating" toilet. Most toilets in Germany seem to just come out of the wall with nothing to hold them up. It's weird. But whatever.
Since I have all brown tile, I can't paint! You don't know how much this pains me. Paint is my favorite thing in the whole world. I had to tackle this from another angle.



Here is it today with a beachy theme. And lots of blue accessories.


I found the cabinet at my favorite place (IKEA!) in the Fundgrube section. It was in a display that they took apart and couldn't sell it for full price. Lucky me! It was originally 109 Euro (about $140) and was marked down to 69,90 Euro ($90). They were running a special (to empty out the Fundgrube) and had it marked down another 15 Euro. I have an IKEA Family card (of course I do!) and they were running another special and anyone with a card got an extra 25% off! It cost me 41 Euro (about $52). I was so excited! Isn't it lovely?


Now, for the historical/patriotic bit. We have these ugly brown shelves over the toilet (the silver thing at the bottom of the photo is the flushing mechanism, BTW) and I needed something for them. When M went to Normandy last month, he took a ton of amazing photos (with MY camera) and brought back sand from the beaches. I printed off the pics on a heavy weight paper and popped them into some frames. Put the sand in the some pretty little jars and tagged them with the beach they came from (Utah and Omaha beaches) and started layering. I learned about the layering from The Nester. The dark colored shells and rocks also came from Normandy. The others are just random shells we've colleceted here and there. The branches came from a tree outside.



This is the top of the IKEA cabinet.


And this is the top of medicine cabinet. The plate got broken in a move , so I put it on top of the cabinet (you can't see the break from below). The photo is of Indy at Dauphin Island when he was 3. It was the first time he'd ever been to the beach. The lifesaver came from Hobby Lobby (I miss you HL!) a few years ago on clearance. It was originally burgundy and cream, but I painted over the burgundy. The plants are actually P.O.O.P.I.E.S.



And that concludes this weeks metamorphosis. Now I have to get busy so I'll have something to show next week! The pressure!
Thanks for stopping by!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fabulous makeover!! Happy Met Monday!

Kat said...

Wonderful makeover! You worked around the brown beautifully. And I love Dauphin Island, what a great picture. Kathy

Karla said...

Great makeover! I love all of the little touches! And great job scoring the cabinet for such an awesome deal!

Happy Monday!

~Karla

These Are The Days said...

Looks great, makes me want to take a road trip to San Diego. Good job!!

Steph said...

Looks great! Love the shelves with the jars of sand.

Monica said...

I think it looks awesome! I really like the blues paired with the brown.

Chandy said...

A great Blue and Met Monday all in one post! Hooray! Beautiful bathroom job.

Carolyn of What Now? Tablescapes

Ells said...

nice job working around what you can't change! The beach theme is perfect in there and I LOVE your IKEA shelves... I have some too, but in a reddish wood stain. They're awesome!

Anonymous said...

I love the idea of the sand in the little jars... and labeled with the beach! I might have to borrow that idea (not that we go to many beaches, living in Kansas and all...)

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

I loved your makeover! I understand about having to work around the eccentricities of foreign bathrooms having lived in France! I LOVED your previous post on Strasbourg because I lived right next door to Alsace in Lorraine! I have been to Strasbourg at Christmas for the Christmas market...beautiful!! Have a great week!...Debbie

janet said...

oh this is so nice, love the beach theme!!!! so many pretty things to look at in this room
hugs
janet

Melissa Miller said...

I adore the beach theme.
You did a beautiful job! :)

xinex said...

Love the beachy theme. Beautiful makeover!..Christine

Kathy said...

Love your beachy bathroom!
Kathy

{darlene} said...

great makeover! love the ikea shelves.

Anonymous said...

J'adore ton blog!!!
What you did with the bathroom is amazing... and for so little money! I love that you took what was positive and built off of it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...