Pages

The journey of a thousand miles begins with...the perfect pair of shoes.

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

RTT: Adventures (or Misadventures) in Moving


Stacy


Hello my lovelies. Have you missed me terribly? I'll bet you have. I've missed you. Seriously, I have about 3 million boxes to unpack and I would much rather be blogging.  It's RTT though, so I'm back, baby.  For today.

*Moving = Ugh.  Moving the week of Thanksgiving = Double Ugh.

*I packed all my unmentionables in my suitcase because I don't want strange German guys handling them.

*Somehow our paperwork got screwed up and it read that we had 4000 pounds of household goods. The moving company sent 2 packers. You should have seen their faces when they saw how much stuff we have. It should have read 14000 pounds. They called for backup.

*It took 2 days to pack and load. Two very long days.

*It gets dark early (like 4:30pm) so they had their van light on to help see the truck while they packed. The van battery died and we had to jump them off. Unfortunately no one could figure out how to jump off of the battery in Ulrika as Volvo does crazy stuff with their batteries. Fortunately the Contessa came to the rescue with her Ford and was able to get them going again.

*My mom flew over to take care of the boys while we moved.  Thank goodness.   It would have gone far worse if we'd had to take care of them too.  She also cooked Thanksgiving dinner.  If she hadn't we'd probably have ended up at McDonald's.  I was too beat to cook.  See two asterisks below for part of the reason.

*They used an elevator platform attached to our balcony (we live on the 3rd floor AGAIN) to haul our stuff up to our new apartment. After about an hour and a half, the elevator stopped working mid-cycle. It was stuck up around the 2nd floor. One of the movers had to scale the ladder part and fix it. He was perched precariously for about 30 minutes.

*They all put our beds together after delivery. They did something wrong when they put our bed together. At 4:30am on Thanksgiving morning one of the rails fell off and our box springs slipped off and our mattress tilted to the side. We had to get up and put it back together. We were so deliriously tired we laughed our heads off. Good times.

*We bought anew sofa that was supposed to be delivered today. They couldn't get it up the stairs because they are too narrow and ceiling where the stairs above are is too low. They don't have an elevator lift. We had to go back to the store and "return" it (weird to return something you don't have) and get the loveseat instead. They refunded our delivery fee and are giving us free delivery of the loveseat. Let's hope it fits up the stairs.

*I seriously have about 3 million boxes to unpack so I should probably get off the computer. Sigh.


*This is how my week felt:


I hope you all have a wonderful RTT.  Hopefully I'll be back to regular blogging soon.  Miss me while I'm gone and think about me slogging through all these boxes.  Double sigh.


4 comments:

The Crazy Coxes said...

You have a tremendously good sense of humor for someone surrounded by 3 million box! I'm sure your new place is awesome! Happy Tuesda!

Kristine said...

I hate moving. I swore when I moved here the next time I move, I will be in a coffin and won't have to participate...

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

So glad you have the move in over, at least! Boxes can be done over time! It sounds like you are already getting adjusted...hitting the flea market. And your find...I gasped out loud! Which color did you get? I used to live near Luneville and so it has a special place in my heart.I have a few place settings of the traditional pattern with the roses and tulips. I say just keep collecting anything you can find over there! You can always sell it on eBay to crazy Americans who collect plates :-) or open an Etsy shop! No kidding! Hope you are soon all unpacked and enjoying and exploring your new town! I bet there's a fabulous Christmas market! Happy weekend!...hugs...Debbie

Memorabillia said...

Nice blog you have, please Visit & Follow US...

http://mymemorabillia.blogspot.com/

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...