Pages

The journey of a thousand miles begins with...the perfect pair of shoes.

Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Day


"It is, in a way, an odd thing to honor those who died in defense of our country in wars far away. The imagination plays a trick. We see these soldiers in our mind as old and wise. We see them as something like the Founding Fathers, grave and gray-haired. But most of them were boys when they died, they gave up two lives — the one they were living and the one they would have lived. When they died, they gave up their chance to be husbands and fathers and grandfathers. They gave up their chance to be revered old men. They gave up everything for their county, for us. All we can do is remember."



— Ronald Wilson Reagan, President of the USA
Remarks at Veteran's Day ceremony
Arlington National Cemetery Arlington
Virginia, 11 November 1985


10 comments:

Alexandra said...

That is the most beautiful post I've read ever. May I link your site to mine this morning???

Formerly known as Frau said...

Remembering today and thankful for my freedom. Proud of our service men and women and thankful for them. Have a wonderful Memorial Day!

Anonymous said...

Profound indeed. Thanks for posting. It's nice to remember President Reagan on a day like today, too.

Katie's Dailies said...

That picture of the soldier guarding the Tomb of the Unknown seems to say it all. Thank you for helping us to remember that it is indeed the young that laid down our lives for us.

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

The Tomb of the unknown is my favorite place to go in DC. Have a great Memorial Day!

Alex@LateEnough said...

Great quote. What an amazingly sad and moving sacrifice.

Melissa said...

Wow -- that is a great find! Thanks to Good Day, Regular People for pointing me to you!

KLZ said...

Thanks for sharing. We forget their sacrifices too often.

Mary Bergfeld said...

Thank you for sharing this with us. This is my first visit to your blog. I found you by chance and intended only to say hello and then move on. I, instead, started to read your earlier posts and stayed far longer than I planned. You've made this a very interesting place to visit. I'll be back as often as I can to visit. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

Denise said...

Wow. Wow. (Goosebumps.) Wow. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...